English Placement Test
- Next online test for students of all subjects (EXCEPT for law students): 05 - 11 October, 2023 - no registration required. Test access information will be available on this website starting Oct. 05, 2023, 10 a.m.
- Next online test for law students: End of September 2023, exact date TBD. Registration via the information list is required.
BACKGROUND AND BASIC INFORMATION
English courses are offered in five disciplines: academic purposes, economics and business studies, law, natural sciences, and social sciences. Each course corresponds to a proficiency level indicated in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), ranging from intermediate (B2) to proficient user (C2).
To register for a course, students must take the Zessko English placement test, which is available online via Moodle. The results of this test indicate the test taker’s level of language competency and correspond to a particular course level that best matches their abilities.
Because it is a diagnostic test to assess a learner’s current language competencies, it is neither necessary nor useful to study for this test. This placement test is specifically designed for language course placement at Zessko to standardize course enrollment according to ability. It is not possible to use the results for broader assessments of language proficiency or to confirm the attainment of a specific language skill level.
Students should take the placement test in their first or second semester to better coordinate their academic program of study and achieve their goals in a specified timeframe.
Before taking the actual placement test, students are advised to take a practice test on the same Moodle to become more familiar with the design and format of the actual assessment. The practice test has the same question format, similar content and approximately the same overall level of difficulty.
TAKING THE ONLINE TEST
1. A stable internet connection is required.
2. Desktop, laptop or tablet devices with an external keyboard are better suited for the online format. It is not recommended to take the test using a smartphone or a tablet without an external keyboard.
3. The test is timed and will automatically close 40 minutes after the test is opened.
4. Work on the placement test without disturbance or interruption. It is not possible to quick-save the test and continue later or to repeat it.
5. Work independently and without a dictionary or any other digital, analog or human assistance.
Results are available after 10 a.m. on the following work day via PULS – click on “My placement tests” or “Meine Einstufungstests” in the PULS navigation menu on the left. The result of the placement test is binding and determines the course level best suited to the test taker’s level of proficiency. Each course has a prerequisite placement test score range.
The placement test results are valid for three years.
REPEATING THE TEST
Repeating the test is only possible after a student shows proof of either having successfully completed a language course of approximately four semester hours (60 x 45 minutes) OR having studied abroad in English for one semester or more.