Depending on strain rate, temperature and material composition ductile shear zones with mylonites, brittle fault zones with cataclasites, or fault gauges are formed. Most of the current projects are related to fault zones. Most of the work is based on the fact that structures often preserves evidence of non-equilibrium conditions.
Presently five major aspects are in work:
- Formation of frictional melts in all crustal levels (New Zealand, Calabria, Colombia), especially detection of fossil seismic events in the deeper crust.
- Ductile fault zones of the deep crust and mantle (Sweden, Colombia).
- Metamorphic evolution of the middle to deep crust (Colombia, Sweden, Italy)
- HFSE (rare earth elements = REE and Nb-Ta) in geological systems (China, Colombia).
- Application and modification of analytical methods for geological objects and cultural heritage (mobile “Laser induced plasma spectroscopy” /LIPS/LIBS, cathodoluminescence and thermophotography).