Skip to main content

Financial Support

Families with children can receive financial assistance. The most important benefits are the child allowance and the parental allowance.

Parents with a residence permit issued under § 16 of the Residence Act (university studies, language course, education) are generally not entitled to these benefits (though it may be different for the spouse).

Child Allowance

A child allowance is typically paid if you and your child are registered in Germany and have a residence permit for either research, employment or family reunion.

Parental Benefits

Parental benefits provide relief for the loss of income following the birth of a child, especially when parents reduce or interrupt their employment. There are two kinds of parental benefits...

The Family Guide Service Portal of the Federal Ministry for Family, Seniors, Women and Youth offers further information on the benefits mentioned above, as well as other offers for families.