Information for download:
University Partnership Agreements (Cooperation Agreements)
University-wide university partnership agreements (cooperation agreements) form the contractual basis for research and teaching collaboration that goes beyond personal relationships between researchers and academics. This includes, for example:
- Research cooperation (third-party funded projects, in particular)
- Awarding of double degrees
- Establishment of joint degree programs
- Student and staff exchange programs
- Supervision of interns and PhD candidates
If cooperation with an international university requires the exchange of personal data, financial contributions, or guarantees for the recognition of university credits, it is advisable to conclude a partnership agreement
Faculty Partnership Agreements
In instances where only one academic department, faculty, or subject area is interested in collaborating with another university, partnership agreements are concluded at the faculty level as faculty partnership agreements, which are signed by the dean.
Feel free to ask us about this!
The International Office advises members of all faculties on the issue of concluding faculty partnership agreements. Upon request, the IO can provide contract templates.
We can also advise you on the preparation of work programs (Implementation Agreements) with regard to their integration into the corresponding contract.
Advising on special agreements
For some types of contracts, our colleagues in other departments can provide assistance:
- For Research and Consortium Agreements (EU-funded projects, German Research Foundation (DFG), Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (AvH)) with international partners, Division 1 for Planning, Statistics, and Research Affairs can give you advice.
- For contracts concerning joint degree programs (double and joint degrees) please contact Division 2 for Student Affairs (Dr. Andrea Radcke).
- For contracts concerning joint doctorates, so-called cotutelle agreements, please contact the relevant faculty. Information on the procedure can be found here: https://www.uni-potsdam.de/en/studium/what-to-study/doctorates/cotutelle-de-these-binational-doctorates
Brief Nomenclature of Contract/Agreement Types
- Cooperation Agreement: University partnership agreement; may also be concluded at the faculty level as a faculty partnership agreement.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU): a declaration of intent signed by all negotiating parties that is not legally binding. The MoU summarizes the results of discussions held to date, proposes a timetable for the implementation of projects, and names future contract partners. It is advisable to include a limit with regard to the validity period.
- Letter of Intent (LOI): Declaration of intent by one of the negotiating parties that is not legally binding.