An introduction for science and higher education
Traget group: PhD candidates and postdocs, qualifying professors
Duration of the program: 6 month (from June until November)
Next call for application is expected to be in March/April 2024.
In the Data Science & artificial intelligence training program, you will get a first look at different AI methods and systems: 1) Pattern recognition and classification using machine learning algorithms, 2) automated logical reasoning through expert systems, and 3) individualized and linguistic interaction and text generation with Chatbots using large language models. All three forms have the potential to speed up and automate complex tasks in science.
You will learn the basic concepts and variants and acquire elementary skills to use them. The program consists of equal parts of self-learning units from openHPI, KI Campus, etc. and workshops with trainers and experts from the fields of programming, statistics, computer science, university digitization and science didactics, as well as law, ethics and research data management.
- Knowledge and understanding of the basic concepts, mechanisms and algorithms of artificial intelligence (search and agent, knowledge representation, propositional logic, machine learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning)
- Knowledge of application fields and understanding of the respective performance spectrum in order to be able to assess one's own expertise and needs
- Knowledge, understanding and development of creative application options
- of statistical learning methods as well as machine learning variants for classification, clustering and regression in research,
- of generative AI services in research, teaching, and general academic activities
- and of formal descriptions and optimizers for study program development and management
- Understanding the legal, ethical, and organizational challenges in using them for research
Conditions of participation & additional information
The program aims at scientists of all disciplines in the qualification phase (PhD candidates, postdocs, qualification professors = junior professors and tenure track professors) who are seeking an overview of artificial intelligence in research, teaching and (academic) management.
- Participants of the University of Potsdam must be members of the Potsdam Graduate School. Free membership can be applied for at any time here.
- Participants must have a solid basic knowledge of statistics.
- Program costs will be published here at a later date.
Program costs are differentiated according to membership in one of the following groups:
|University of Potsdam (UP)
|Postdoc Network Brandenburg
|from partner institutions of the PoGS
(neither UP nor partner)
During the in-person workshops, free childcare can be organized in Potsdam. Please contact us in case of need.