Skip to main content

Erasmus+ Scholarship | Mobility Grant

A study abroad period can be eligible for funding from the EU within the framework of Erasmus+. The funding consists of a mobility grant. This is intended to compensate for the additional expenses incurred as a result of studying abroad. For this purpose, the EU created country groups for which fixed monthly funding rates are determined by the University of Potsdam depending on the amount of funding allocated. Currently, these rates are as follows:

Funding Rates since the Academic Year 2023/24
Country groupCountries*Grant
1Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden600 Euro/ month or 20 Euro/ day
2Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, France, (Germany,) Greece, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain540 Euro/month or 18 Euro/ day
3Bulgaria, Estonia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Republic North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Hungary490 Euro/ month or 16 Euro/ day
*Switzerland has not been an Erasmus+ program country since 2014/15. Students of the University of Potsdam can still study at the Swiss partner universities free of charge, but they will not receive the mobility grant from their home university but from the respective Swiss partner university.
** The UK is no longer an Erasmus+ programme country. Students of the University of Potsdam can still study at the partner universities free of charge, but have to take care of the financing of their stay themselves.

The maximum number of funded days per semester is 140.

The grant is calculated exactly to the day based on the actual length of your stay. The number of ECTS points to be earned is also based on the duration of your planned stay:

  • 1 trimester is equivalent to 3 months (20 ECTS)
  • 1 semester is equivalent to 4 months (30 ECTS)
  • 2 trimesters are equivalent to 6 months (40 ECTS)
  • 2 semesters are equivalent to 8 months (60 ECTS)

You will be paid 80% of the grant for your entire stay at the beginning of your study abroad period. You will receive the remaining 20% after your return and after submitting all necessary reporting documents.

You should aim for 30 ECTS points per semester (or 20 ECTS points per trimester). If you do not meet this target, you will have to write a statement of reasons (see templates on our website), which we will have to present to the DAAD in case of further inquiries.

If you have achieved less than 15 points per semester, we reserve the right to require you to pay back parts of the grant on a pro-rata basis. If you have not achieved any points at all, you will have to pay back the grant.

Social Top-Ups for students with so-called fewer opportunities

For Erasmus students going abroad with one or more children, a so-called Social Top-Up can be applied for, which amounts to 250 euros per month of your stay. You can find more information here.

For Erasmus students with a chronic illness or disability with a GdB 20 or higher, there is also the possibility to apply for a Social Top-Up of 250 euros per month. Students with a GdB 20 or higher can also apply for a long term grant, which covers the additional costs of up to 15,000 euros incurred abroad. Further information on this can be found on the DAAD website. If you have a GdB of 50 or more, you also have the option of having preparatory trips subsidized - the DAAD lists detailed information on this. Please contact the International Office as soon as possible.

Since the academic year 2022/23, the Social Top Up of 250 euros per month is also available for students whose parents or caregivers do not have a degree from a university or university of applied sciences and for employed students with monthly earnings of between 450 euros and 850 euros per month.

The list of criteria and the required evidence can be found under "Notes on Social Top Ups" on the Downloads page.

Green Travel

From the academic year 2022/23, green travel can be funded through Erasmus+. If you use sustainable transport for your mobility, you can receive a one-time travel grant of 50 EUR. "Green travel" is defined as travel that uses low-emission means of transport such as bus, train or carpooling for the main part of the trip.

In addition, up to four more days can be funded at the regular daily rate if your travel time is extended due to sustainable travel. If your outbound or return journey is extended by more than 8 hours, you can be funded for one additional day each. If your outbound or return journey is extended by more than 24 hours, you can be funded for an additional two days at a time.

The additional funds for green travel can be applied for via the Declaration of Honour on the Downloads page.