- Presentation of your preliminary results approx. 8-10 weeks before submission
You can register for your thesis at the Chair of Empirical Economics only during the following time periods:
If you are interested in writing your thesis at the Chair of Empirical Economics, please write an email to Nicole Pohle approximately 3-4 weeks prior to the registration period. In your email, please state which courses offered by the chair you were enrolled in (including final grades), which research topics you are interested in and whether you plan on writing a thesis with a theoretical or empirical focus. A list of general topics and some examples of already submitted theses to the Chair can be found at the bottom of this page. A staff member of the chair will get in touch with you shortly after your email to make an appointment. At this meeting, you will discuss your interests and ideas as well as the currently open topics at the Chair and formulate a working title for your thesis. After the talk but before official registration at the examination office during registration period, you should have a closer look at the relevant literature and submit and discuss an outline of your thesis with your supervisor.
In addition to officially registering at the examination office, you are also required to participate in the BA: Colloquium parallel to working on your thesis. Please pay attention to the registration deadline for PULS.
Participation in the courses
- BA: Statistics,
- BA: Empirical Economics / Econometrics,
- BA: Introduction to Stata, and
- BA: Seminar - Applied Econometrics
is strongly recommended.
Based on academic studies from the literature, you will autonomously examine a research question from a variety of different economic fields (e.g. Labor, Public Policy or Entrepreneurship).
- Treatment Effects: Theory, Methods, and Practical Applications
- Personality, Preferences, and Economic Outcomes
- Labor Economics
For a recent list of topics please contact Nicole Pohle.
Examples of Submitted Theses
- Auswirkungen der Einführung eines gesetzlichen Mindestlohns in Deutschland auf die Taxibranche (empirical)
- Persönlichkeitseigenschaften und Suchverhalten von Arbeitslosen (empirisch)
- Self-Employment: Explaining the Gender Gap in Entrepreneurship (empirical)
- The Influence of Non-Cognitive Skills on Earnings in Germany using Data from the German Socio Economic Panel (empirical)