Comprehensive information regarding the possibilities of earning a doctoral degree can be found on the pages that introduce you to the study options at the University of Potsdam.
The Welcome Center der Universität Potsdam can assist international applicants for doctoral study with questions regarding visas, residence permit regulations and health insurance.
This page will provide you with information on registering and enrolling as a doctoral candidate.
You must apply for admission as a doctoral candidate prior to beginning your dissertation. The application must be filed with the Doctoral Examining Board for the subject in which you are pursuing your doctorate. If you are pursuing a doctorate in the Law Faculty, you must file the application with its dean.
Since the Examining Board or the Office of the Dean requires time to review your materials, you should expect a processing time of several weeks (possibly longer during the semester breaks).
First of all, registration as a doctoral candidate is required. This has to be done under https://promo.uni-potsdam.de/
Please submit the following materials to the Office of the Dean
For Applicants who are not enrolled at the University of Potsdam:
If you are an international applicant for doctoral study, please take note of the following information:
- Proof of language proficiency: There are no general regulations regarding the proof of German or other language proficiency if you are planning to enroll for a doctorate. To find out about the language requirements for your particular doctorate, please consult your specific Doctoral Program Regulation. Please inquire with your adviser about details.
If you are interested in aCotutelle-Verfahren, please note the following:
- Your adviser files an informal request with the faculty board for a Cotutelle de thèse procedure following a recommendation by the Doctoral Examining Board or the Dean of the Faculty of Law.
- In cooperation with the faculty, you will draw up a contract, which details the conditions of your individual procedure. Sample contracts in English are available from the Doctoral Examining Boards in the different faculties.
For students who are already enrolled at the University of Potsdam:
Upon receipt of your complete application materials, the Dean’s Office in charge will review your application. If the admission decision is positive, you will receive the confirmed "Declaration of Intent to Undertake Doctoral Studies" and can apply for enrollment via the University Admissions Portal.
You may apply for enrollment
- for the summer semester from February 15 until June 15 // Ph.D.-program from February 15 until April 15
- for the winter semester from August 15 until January 15 // Ph.D.-program from August 15 until October 15
After your enrollment documents have been processed and if they are complete, we will send you information on paying the semester fees to the e-mail address provided in the University Admissions Portal.
After your payment, your Potsdam University’s Chip Card (PUCK) will be issued and delivered by post. The envelope contains:
Your enrollment as a doctoral candidate ends with the completion of your doctoral degree or the end of advising at the University of Potsdam, but definitely after 12 semesters in your subject of study.
Please note: If you are exmatriculated after 12 semesters, you may still complete your doctoral degree, unless your faculty’s Doctoral Degree Regulations specify otherwise.
Under extenuating circumstances, exceptions can be made. In this case, a request for extension of enrollment beyond 12 semesters can be approved. The informal request must be accompanied by a written statement by the adviser, which states the reasons for the long duration of the doctoral studies as well as the expected date of completion of the doctoral degree. Requests are decided together with the Doctoral Examining Board.
The request for extending enrollment must be submitted to the Student Administration Center/ Office of Student Affairs within the re-registration period.