Skip to main content


This webpage provides general information on searching for housing. Students should take care of their housing in a timely manner, because there is a rush on housing at the beginning of the semester. This also depends on which semester you start your studies. As most degree programs begin in the winter semester, it is easier to find housing in the summer semester.

Information on how to register your residence can be found here.

Student Dormitories

Studentenwerk Potsdam (Potsdam’s Association for Student Affairs)

You can apply for a room if your bachelor's/master’s degree at the University of Potsdam is your first bachelor's/master’s degree (worldwide). Students in the second bachelor's or master’s course are not eligible to live at Studentenwerk Potsdam! Please check the following wepage of the Studentenwerk if you are eligible to apply for a room.

The Studentenwerk Potsdam offers furnished dormitory rooms in several student dormitories that exist at all of the University’s campuses.

  • Single and double rooms, which save more money and increase your chances of getting a room
  • monthly rent between 205 to 490 Euro (including heating, electricity, water)
  • mostly shared apartments with shared kitchen and bathrooms
  • dormitory tutors give support and help

Application for a dormitory room:
If you have applied to the University of Potsdam and are sure that you want to study in Potsdam, please use the Online application, even you haven’t yet received a notice of admission, that you can hand in later.

Applications for a dormitory rooms are possible one semester in advance. You can apply for winter semester 2024/25 from April 8 at 9:00 am. The earlier you apply, the better your chances.

Do not specify a dormitory location/campus. It may be that there are no rooms there, and you will not get a room, even though there are rooms in another location. It's better to live half an hour away from the university than not to get a room at all.

Offer for a room & lease agreement

  • You must accept the offer within the response deadline. Afterwards the offer will expire. You also have to pay a registration fee/deposit of 300 Euro to confirm the offer. This deposit will be returned in full if you return the housing unit in orderly condition.
  • Please submit the documents listed in the offer as soon as you have them (for example, a notice of enrollment or a university enrollment certificate).
  • The lease agreement will be signed on your arrival during the opening hours or by personal appointment. Please make also an appointment with the caretaker for a handover certificate.

Studentendorf Schlachtensee (Student Village Schlachtensee)

The cooperative of the nearby student village Schlachtensee offers rooms in shared flats between 279 and 917 euros, depending on the equipment. The residents of the village have a fitness room, computer room, piano room, rehearsal rooms and a modern laundrette at their disposal. The spacious garden can be used for leisure activities. Students of all disciplines and nationalities as well as of all ages live in the Studentendorf, here you help and support each other. The Potsdam university locations can usually be reached by regional or S-Bahn within approx. 30 minutes.

Learn more.

To top


In January 2020, the Studentenwerk Potsdam has launched the “Homesharing” project. The idea: Housing providers in Potsdam offer accommodation and receive support with daily chores in return. Lawn mowing, grocery shopping or childcare. The housing conditions and rules are decided by both parties beforehand. Studentenwerk Potsdam brings home providers and students together and guides them throughout their housing partnership.The service is free of charge.

Learn more.

To top

Private Housing

Apartment sharing community (WG)

WG (Wohngemeinschaften) are a popular form of housing that many students in Germany take advantage of. The idea is simple: several people share one apartment. Everyone has their own room. You share the kitchen and bathroom. You split the costs for rent, electricity, and Internet. A room in a WG can be more expensive than in a dormitory (about 400-650 Euro per month), but it remains relatively affordable.

You can normally “apply” with an email that says a bit about you and your interests. If the members of the WG are interested in you, you will be invited to what’s called “WG casting” to get to know one another.

Renting your own apartment

Looking for private housing can often turn out to be difficult because several applicants who want to compete for an apartment can be invited simultaneously to one viewing appointment. It is also important to pay attention to the components of the rental price. Online portals often only show what’s called “cold rent” (Kaltmiete), which does not include utilities such as electricity or heating.

Online platforms,,,

Required documents

  • A copy of your ID or passport (Kopie des Ausweises)
  • Confirmation of no rental debts (Mietschuldenfreiheitsbescheinigung). This document confirms that you do not owe your previous landlord any money and always paid your rent on time. If you have lived in another country before, you might not need it. It is best to ask your prospective landlord or realtor if they need this document from you. In case they do, you can find forms on the internet to download.
  • Salary confirmation (Gehaltsnachweise) / Bank statements (Kontoauszüge): It is common that landlords ask for copies of your three most recent salary slips. If you do not have pay slips, there is a chance that the landlord accepts bank statements (most of the last three month) that prove that you have enough money to pay the rent.
  • Documentation of your credit history - Schufa record (Schufa-Selbstauskunft - privately held company in Germany that keeps track of people’s debts): If you have never lived in Germany before, you won’t have a Schufa record yet. Then you can try to show past bank statements, showcasing a regular income and that you’ve always paid your rent on time. Your Schufa records automatically start once you starting using a bank account in Germany, sign contracts etc. You should use this as your main account where you receive your salary and pay most bills.
  • Tenant application form (Mieterselbstauskunft): Additionally, landlords hand out questionnaires called Mieterselbstauskunft about your general situation (your name, date of birth, about the amount of people who will live in the apartment or room, your job, in-come and if you are in debt).

To top