A journey through the natural sciences with female doctoral students
On the International Day of Women and Girls in Science, female doctoral candidates from various institutes of the Faculty of Science and the Digital Engineering Faculty will give an insight into their respective field of research and their career so far. The researchers will each give a 10-minute talk in English or German. A subsequent discussion round will allow younger and more experienced female researchers to exchange ideas with the audience. Among other things, specific career decisions and obstacles for women and paths to a career in science can be discussed.
This year, PhD student Marta Lemanczyk from the Digital Engineering Faculty is participating and will give a talk on "Identifizierung von Interaktionen in genomischen Sequenzen durch künstliche neuronale Netze" (Identifying interactions in genomic sequences using artificial neural networks).
Artificial neural networks are nowadays used in biology and medicine, for example, to predict rare hereditary diseases based on gene sequences. Due to the complexity of these methods, it is often difficult to understand their decisions. In my PhD thesis I am working on the interpretation of genomic convolutional neural networks.
Welcome and talks
- Greeting by Prof. Oliver Günther, Ph.D. (President of the University of Potsdam)
- Sany Chea (Chemistry): Zucker zur Behandlung von COVID-19
- Lisa Luna (Environmental Science): Today's forecast: rainy with a 40% chance of landslides
- Undine Falkenhagen (Mathematics): Using mathematical modelling and model reduction to understand individual drug response
- Viktoria Klara Wandt (Nutritional Sciences): Spurenelemente und Altern: Einfluss auf die genomische Stabilität
- Marta Lemanczyk (Data Science): Identifizierung von Interaktionen in genomischen Sequenzen durch künstliche neuronale Netze
- Elisabeth Schönfeldt (Earth Sciences): Fließen, Flutschen, Fallen - Warum sich Hänge bewegen
- Alyna Lange (Chemistry): Ionic Liquid based 3D printable Electrolytes for Energy Applications
- Lightning talk of Tanja Mutschler (Physics)
- Discussion with audience and researchers: Die Promotion, ein Tor zur Wissenschaft - Begeisterung und Hindernisse (with Prof. Dr. Janet Anders (Physics), Prof. Dr. Myfanwy Evans (Mathematics), Undine Falkenhagen (Mathematics), Alyna Lange (Chemistry), Lisa Luna (Environmental Science))