Have you received an invitation from the University of Potsdam or one of its extramural institutions, and would like to know whether you need a visa for your time in Germany, and, if so, which one?
For an initial overview, please check the information given below and the visa navigator of the Federal Foreign Office.
If you have questions, we will be happy to provide you with individual information!
Ukraine | Information for affected third country nationals
People who had to flee Ukraine are allowed to enter Germany without a visa and stay here for up to 90 days without a visa. This applies to both Ukrainian citizens and people of other nationalities who were in Ukraine on February 24, 2022 and fled.
- Those who have not yet resided in Germany for 90 days as of August 31, 2022, or who will not enter Germany until that date, may continue to reside in Germany beyond that date until a period of 90 days is reached, based on the Ukraine Residence Transition Ordinance (UAÜV). On the 90th day at the latest, an application for a residence permit must be submitted to the local immigration office.
- Anyone who has already been in Germany for 90 days or more as of August 31, 2022, and wishes to remain in Germany must submit an application for a residence permit to the local immigration office no later than August 31, 2022. The application for a residence permit will result in the permitted stay being extended (Section 81 (3) sentence 1 Residence Act).
Ukrainian citizens who have fled Ukraine can be recognized in a simplified procedure as war refugees according to § 24 AufenthG. This also applies to third-country nationals who have fled Ukraine, if they either have a permanent right of residence in Ukraine or are at risk in their home country. This means: You will receive a right of residence for an initial period of one year, may work, study and you will be entitled to social benefits (financial support, medical care, accommodation).
For this purpose, registration with the immigration office of your current place of residence is necessary.
- If you already have a permanent accommodation in Berlin: Registration LEA Berlin
- If you are currently in Berlin but do not have permanent housing there: Registration LAF Berlin (you will be distributed throughout Germany according to a quota system)
- If you are currently in Potsdam and have permanent housing there: Please send an email with your contact information to auslaenderbehoerde-ukraineurathaus.potsdampde
You do not need to apply for asylum.