How can I register for a course?
Please have a look at the current course offerings of our chair. There you will also find the corresponding links for registration via PULS.
Please note that a registration for a course does not represent a registration for an attainment at the same time. This is done separately via PULS.
If registration via PULS is not possible for technical reasons (e.g. because you do not yet have access data), please contact the relevant lecturer by e-mail.
By when do I have to register with PULS for an event?
Information about the booking period for courses can be found
Please also note the specific regulations of the Chair of Politics and Goverment in Germany on the PULS pages regarding course offerings. Early registration is necessary because the first contact to the courses is made via PULS and this is the only way to ensure that the responsible teacher can reach you with further information.
I have not registered in time or would like to withdraw from registration again
If you have not registered within the scheduled deadlines, you may register for the next offered date. Participation in the service for which you have missed the registration deadline is not possible.
If you wish to withdraw from a course or service, you may do so within the registration and withdrawal deadlines or up to eight days before the module examination that is not part of the course.
If you have effectively withdrawn from an examination/examination registration, you are deemed not to have registered for the examination.
What are the performance requirements for the course?
The performance requirements are based on the respective requirements from the module handbook. You can find the course-specific performance requirements on the course page on PULS as well as in the course schedule via moodle.
When and how are office hours offered?
Due to the Corona pandemic, there are currently no personal consultation hours with the chair's staff. The team of chair can be reached by e-mail.
Please also note that Prof. Dr. Fleischer is on sabbatical this winter semester (2022/23) and therefore will not hold office hours. If you have any questions, please contact the assistant to the chair, Ms. Eichler: firstname.lastname@example.org
By when do I have to hand in my term paper?
The deadline for the assignment is set by the respective instructor. Please refer to the seminar schedule of the course for more information.
How should I proceed if I cannot take part in an examination for health reasons?
Please send a medical certificate within 7 calendar days. Check with your examination office/study office for further details.
Furthermore, you should inform the responsible teacher about your inability to take the examination.
When are the grades for a course posted in PULS?
Grades are posted in PULS after all assignments have been submitted and corrected on time. Depending on the number of participants, the evaluation of homework can take a relatively long time. Therefore, please refrain from inquiring about the grade posting on PULS.
If you need your grade earlier than usual, e.g. because the completion of your studies is imminent, please contact the chair's office duly during the lecture period. (Sabine.Eichler@uni-potsdam.de).
What do I need to keep in mind when writing my thesis?
For all questions regarding a thesis, please see the page Guide to Writing a Thesis.
What happens in case of a fraud attempt?
For plagiarism in term papers, a grade of 5.0 is recorded in PULS. At the same time, the Central Examination Office will be informed of the cheating attempt so that a note can be made there in the student file.
Statutory declaration and Plagiarism declaration in term and qualifying papers
Each term paper and qualification paper must be accompanied by a statutory declaration.
Please use the following wording:
I hereby affirm that I have written this paper independently and have not used any sources or aids other than those indicated, that all statements taken verbatim or in spirit from other writings have been identified, and that the paper has not previously been part of a course or examination in the same or a similar version.
Place, date, ______ Signature of the author "
Due to an increased number of plagiarisms, each term paper, and qualification paper must also be accompanied by a personally signed plagiarism declaration. Please use the formulation below as text for this purpose.
Please note that this is an optional formulation, i.e. not all term papers and qualification theses written at the Chair of "Politics and Government in Germany and Europe" are uploaded and checked on Turnitin by default. This is only done in justified cases of suspicion. In addition, the requirements of the Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences of the University of Potsdam are observed.
"Declaration of consent
I agree to submit my written work (insert title) in electronic form. I agree that the work may be subjected to a check using plagiarism detection software (such as Turnitin).
The course of study:
The subject of the thesis:
What happens after the submission of the term paper or qualification paper?
- After receipt of the term paper, the review phase begins, which can take different lengths of time depending on the scope of the work.
- For term papers and bachelor's theses, an approximate correction time of four weeks and for master's theses of six weeks is provided.
- If the work has not been reviewed within the time frame mentioned, please contact the chair's office.
- Reports or evaluations are not always provided for term papers. Please pay attention to the announcements of the lecturers in the respective courses.
- For qualifying theses, a written review is prepared and made available to students. In the case of the master's thesis, this expert opinion is also the basis for preparing the disputation.
Is it possible to make a request for expert opinions, letters of recommendation or similar?
Concerning expert opinions and letters of reference, we are happy to support suitable students. This concerns expert opinions for scholarships and internships as well as letters of reference for admission to master's and doctoral programs in Germany and abroad.
The contact person at the chair is
Notes on the expert opinion request
Please note the following when requesting an appraisal or similar documents:
- Can you really be adequately assessed by the staff of our department or are you better known at another department?
- Do you meet the requirements (grades, commitment, etc.) for a possible promotion? We only support suitable students with an expert opinion.
- You must have successfully completed at least one seminar at the chair (i.e. the performance record must be available; minimum grade: 1.7).
- A personal interview can significantly improve the quality of your review. Therefore, you should be prepared to explain your motivation for the application and to state your personal suitability in an interview.
- Requests for reviews and similar letters must be received at least four weeks before the date of submission of your complete documents.
What documents are required for this?
Together with your request for an expert opinion, please send the following documents by e-mail to Dr. Jana Paasch:
- Meaningful curriculum vitae
- Current PULS grade transcript
- All forms and instructions are provided to you by the institution to which you are applying.
- A letter of motivation of approximately one page in which you describe the purpose of your application and explain your suitability.
If your question is not answered by the FAQ, please send your question to the following e-mail address: