You are using an old browser with security vulnerabilities and can not use the features of this website.
Candidates must have, at the time of setting the thesis theme with the supervisor, a Diplom, Master, Magister with the main field and final thesis within the chosen field or "Certificate of the 1st state exam 'Lehramt' at secondary level II (Zeugnisses der 1. Staatsprüfung für das Lehramt der Sekundarstufe II) within the field of the doctoral work. Candidates with Lehramt certificate must have completed their scientific homework in the scientific field covered by the doctoral thesis. Candidates with equivalent foreign qualifications must have these approved by the International Relations Office of the University of Potsdam. The German qualification should be graded at least ‘Gut’ (Good): foreign qualifications should be at least equivalent to this grade.
1. Please complete the Agreement for supervision of a doctoral thesis (information: please save the document first on your PC and then re-open it) together with your principal supervisor.
2. Candidates with foreign qualifications must check the equivalence of their qualifications with the principal supervisor. As a support, the database anabin of the KMK and the tables for conversion of grades of the International Office are available. In case of doubt, the Central Student's Office may be contacted (Dr. Bismark or Dr. Hunger). You can use this letter.
3. Discuss the entrance requirements with the responsible person of the chosen teaching unit in the Doctoral Committee.
4. Than return the document to the secretary of the Dean's Office.
The regulations of the Agreement for supervision can be found on page 3 of the Agreement and in the Regulations for awarding the title „doctor rerum naturalium“ (Dr. rer. nat.) and Doctor of Engineering (Dr.-Ing) at the Faculty of Science at the University of Potsdam in § 5.
Please note the dead-line for the next meeting of the Doctoral Commitee.
You must submit the following documents at the Dean's Office:
1. Agreement for supervision of a doctoral thesis/Declaration of Intent to undertake Doctoral Studies.
2. Copies of degree certificates.
When the Doctoral Commitee has approved the declaration of intent you will receive a letter of acknowledgement.
Please find here all of the necessary information for registration as a doctoral student.
Please contact the Central Student's Office (Studierendensekretariat) for questions concerning the immatriculation.
If you consider Cotutelle de thèse (binational doctorate), please note - besides the issues listed above - the indications of the faculty of science.
Please find the compilation of approved scientific disciplines at the Faculty of Science in the Agreement for supervision of a doctoral thesis - specified for each institute/teaching discipline.
1. DFG: "Guidelines for Avoiding Conflicts of Interes"
2. DFG: "Sicherung guter wissenschaftlicher Praxis/Safeguarding Good Scientific Practice"
3. UP: "Selbstkontrolle in der Wissenschaft - Regeln zur Sicherung guter wissenschaftlicher Praxis an der Universität Potsdam" (AmBek 2/2002)