Periods of Academic Work and Professional Experience
- Since 1997: Chair of International Politics, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, University of Potsdam
- 1993-1997: Sr. Public Sector Specialist, World Bank, Latin America and Caribbean Department and Development Economics Department / World Development Report (Washington D.C., USA)
- 1993-1997: Private Lecturer at the University of Konstanz, Faculty of Administrative Sciences
- 1992-1993: Visiting Professor at York University (Toronto, Canada), Political Science Department
- 1986-1992: Assistant Professor at the University of Konstanz, Faculty of Administrative Sciences
- 1982-1986: Research Assistant at the University of Konstanz, Faculty of Administrative Sciences
- 1980-1982: Latin America Research Scholarship of the Friedrich-Ebert Foundation (in Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru)
Five Most Important Publications
- Varieties of Carbon Governance in Newly Industrializing Countries, in: Journal of Environment and Development 18 (4) 2009, pp. 327-345 (with Markus Lederer).
- Leadership and Innovation in Subnational Government: Case Studies from Latin America (World Bank Institute, Washington D.C., 2004) 450 p. (with Tim Campbell).
- World Development Report 1997 “The State in a Changing World” (Oxford University Press, New York, 1997) 265 p. (with Ajay Chhibber, Simon Commander, Alison Evans, Cheikh Kane, Chad Leechor, Brian Levy, Sanjay Pradhan and Beatrice Weder).
- Constructive Pressures and Incentives to Reform: Globalization and its Impact on Public Sector Performance and Governance in Developing Countries, in: Hodges, R. (Ed.) (2005) Governance and the Public Sector (Edward Elgar, Cheltenham) pp. 525-549 (several reprints in different books and journals).
- Municipal Institutional Strengthening and Donor Coordination: Experiences from Ecuador, in: Collins, P./ Blunt, P.(Eds.) (1994) Institution Building in Developing Countries [Special Issue, Public Administration and Development, (14,2) pp. 169-186] (slightly expanded in: Stokke, O. (Ed.) (1996) Foreign Aid in the 1990s. Experiences and Challenges (Frank Cass, London 1996) pp. 168-193.
Funded Research Projects since 2003
- 2015-2018: Carbon Governance Arrangements and the Nation State: The Reconfiguration of Public Authority in Developing Countries. Research Project in cooperation with the WWU Münster, funded by DFG.
- 2006-2009: Emerging Modes of Governance and Climate Protection: Green Companies in Newly Industrializing Countries – Brazil, China, and India. Research Project within DFG-Collaborative Research Center 700 “Governance in Areas of Limited Statehood”.
- 2003-2005: Monitoring the Impacts of Decentralization Programs and Projects on Poverty and Democratization. Research Project funded by the German Agency for Technical Cooperation/ Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development.