At the Faculty of Economic and Social Sciences at the University of Potsdam, an Examining Board is responsible for each degree program or subject. As a rule, the Examining Board consists of one student, one academic staff member, and representatives from the group of university professors. The university professors have the majority of seats. The members of the Examining Board and their deputies are bound to official secrecy.
The Examining Board is responsible for ensuring that the provisions of general regulations (such as BAMA-O or BAMA-LA-O) and subject-specific regulations are observed. In addition, the Examining Board is responsible for (taken from BAMA-O Section 2):
- Deciding on applications from students and teaching staff regarding the application of the general examination and study regulations (BAMA-O/BAMA-LA-O) and the respective valid subject-specific regulations
- Assignment of the courses to a module and the distribution of the credit points assigned to the module to the courses of the module (the basis for assessment is the proposal of the respective teacher)
- Appointment of the module representatives
- Regular reporting to the faculty, especially to the Study Commission, about experiences with the application of regulations
- Recognition and crediting of study, examination and graduation achievements (information on the recognition of study achievements abroad)
- Decision on the suitability of vocational training and experience as an admission requirement for the bachelor’s degree program (Section 8 subsection 3 BbgHG)
- Decision on the admission of applicants to the respective master’s program
- Other decisions to be made by the Audit Committee.
The Examining Board elects a chairperson from the group of university professors. The Examining Board may decide to delegate individual responsibilities to the chairperson. Resolutions are always passed by simple majority. In the event of a tie, the chairperson has the casting vote.
The Examining Board decides on an appeal against a decision made by the Examining Board. This decision cannot be transferred to the chairperson.