Skip to main content

Sick note

If you are unable to work due to illness, your superior must be informed immediately. You are obliged to do this in accordance with Section 5 of the Continuation of Remuneration Act (EFZG) and Section 61 of the State Civil Servants Act (LBG).

Please notify your supervisor as soon as possible - usually by 9:00 a.m. of the relevant working day at the latest - by telephone or e-mail and state how long you expect to be unfit for work.

If you are unable to work for more than three calender days, you must provide a doctor's certificate confirming your illness.

Submit your sick note

As soon as it is clear how long you will be unfit for work (maximum of 3 calendar days without a certificate) or you have a doctor's certificate, please log in to the Service Portal for Human Resources to report your sick days to the Department of Human Resources and Legal Affairs and to your line manager or secretary:

Submitting a sick note

In the event of illness lasting longer than three calendar days (including the weekend), a doctor's certificate must be submitted from the fourth day at the latest.

The electronic certificate of incapacity for work (eAU) was introduced on 1 January 2023 for those with statutory sickness insurance. For you, this means that the office will receive your certificate of incapacity for work directly from your health insurance fund. When you visit the doctor, you will then only receive a sickness certificate for your records and no longer an incapacity certificate (including a "copy for the employer"), which you previously sent to the employer. The certificate you receive from the doctor is only intended for your records and must be kept as legally valid proof of your illness, e.g. in case the electronic transmission of the data is incorrect.

In addition to the sick note, those with private health insurance must submit their own medical certificate of illness ("copy for the employer") to the office via the Service Portal for Personnel. You can upload a scan/photo of the document directly with the notification. A corresponding field is available in the Service Portal for Personnel.

Alternatively, please send us the copy by post to:

University of Potsdam
Department of Human Resources and Legal Affairs
Am Neuen Palais 10
14469 Potsdam.

NEW: Please also complete this online form: ►Submission of a sick note

If you receive several sick notes in a row, please fill out the form again for each sick note.

The following applies to all: The previous form for reporting illnesses without a medical certificate (up to a maximum of three calender days) does not apply anymore if you have reported your illness via the above-mentioned online form.

Care for a sick child

The following applies to the care of a sick child:

Please only send a digital copy of the medical certificate confirming your child's need for care by e-mail to