The BMBF project 'research orientation in the introductory phase' (FideS) focusses on the connection between research- and learning environmentin recourse of metaphors. This perspective is based on the observation that physical and virtual learning environmentconverge towards each other. Due to the emphasis on connecting research and teaching in universities, research environment have become more relevant as well. This projects objective is to illustrate collocations of metaphor within self-descriptions, which are offered by teaching arrangements in higher education. Eventually, the differentiation of environment, which are conducted empirically, as well as diverse learning and researching practices can be transferred to the virtual world.
Research actions and competence acquirement can be supported by E-Learning tools. In this context, abilities to self-reflection, self-organization and presenting are paramount issues.
FideS does not only stand for 'research orientation in the introductory phase' but also means 'trustworthy' in latin. In our project we have confidence in students’ (research) interest and in the momentum of their research processes. FideS is a composite project between university of Hamburg, technical university of Kaiserslautern and university of Potsdam. In context of 'Qualitätspakt Lehre' accompany research FideS is analyzing how research orientation is implemented in the introductory phase. The analyzing sample consists project of 'Qualitätspakts Lehre' and also other institutional structures. On the long-term, the aim is to develop recommendation of action for higher education practices as well as facilitate a lasting exchange between experts of inquiry-based learning.
Our project’s goals can be summarized as followed:
- The concept of inquiry-based research/research orientated teaching should be reasoned theoretically and relined and differentiated empirically
- The potential of embedding inquiry-based learning in the first stages of study programs should be analyzed empirically and framed theoretically. For this matter, the specifics of different subjects and disciplines should be taken into consideration
- The potential of technical support for inquiry-based learning (tools and platforms) will be analyzed, categorized and compared to existing theoretical models
- Based on the previous mentioned, guided models, materials and technical tools will be developed in order to configure research orientated teaching in the introductory phase.
- The developed models will not only be made available for the public, but also discussed, examined and spread for the purpose of creating quality standards