Dr. Firas Al Laban holds a PhD in Computer Science (Knowledge Management Systems), a Master in Software Engineering and a Bachelor's degree in Mathematics from Damascus University. During his work as a lecturer at various Universities, he taught many Computer Science and Mathematics courses. He also supervised senior students teaching at Secondary Schools, and supervised several students’ projects.
Parallel to his teaching activities, he was involved in many research projects, which led him to publish and participate in various international conferences.
Since June 2019 he joined the team of the Institute of Computer Science as a research assistant in the Open-U project at Potsdam University.
- Open Educational Resources
- Data Science
- “Mapping Heterogeneous Ontologies through Ontology Algebra View”, ISBN 1726 – 5487, No 2763, 03-11-2009, Damascus University Journal, Syria
- "Conceptual Ascendant Feature Extraction of a Financial Corpus", Ali Mohamed Al-Jaoua, Jihad Al’Jaam, Helmi Hammami, Fethi Ferjani, Firas Laban, Nasredine, IEEE 2010 International Conference on Progress in Informatics and Computing, PIC2010. P-652-655, Shangai
- “Financial Events Detection by Conceptual News Categorization”, Ali Mohamed Al-Jaoua, Jihad Al’Jaam, Helmi Hammami, Fethi Ferjani, Firas Laban,Nasredine Sammar, Hassane Essafi and Samir Elloumi. IEEE Tenth International Conference on Intelligent System Design and Applications, IDSA’10- Cairo, 2010. P-1102-1106, Cairo
- “Using a Cross-Language Information Retrieval Approach to Improve Computer-Aided Translation Performance”, Nasredine Semmar, Ali Jaoua, Hassane Essafi, Ayman Zayyan, Firas Laban, Fethi Ferjani. IEEE Tenth International Conference on Intelligent System Design and Applications, IDSA’10- Cairo, P-760-765, Cairo
- “Using Description Logics and Extension of Description Logic to Bridge P2P Ontologies”, ICIS2012 Conferences, June 26th to 28th, 2012, South Korea
- “How Does Integrating Technologies Stimulate and Activate Learners in Large Undergraduate Mathematic Classes?” DisCo2013, Firas A. Al Laban, Mahmoud Syam, ISBN: 978-80-86302-45, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
- “The Role of Vocational and Technical Education in Reducing Inflation in The Number of Students Enrolled at Qatar University”, Mahmoud I. Syam, Firas Al Laban, Journal of Teaching and Education, ISSN: 2165-6266: 2(4):171–177 (2013)
- “The Teacher’s Role in Merging the Students with Special Needs in the Educational Process”, Mahmoud I. Syam, Firas Al Laban, published, Journal of Teaching and Education, ISBN: 2165-6266:03(02):357–364 (2014)
- “An approach to Integrate Ontologies of Open Educational Resources in Knowledge Base Management Systems”, Firas A. Al Laban, Mohamed Chabi, Sammani Danwawu Abdullahi, ICMSO 2015: 17th International Conference on Metadata, Semantics and Ontologies, London, UK