On this page you will find an overview of all (working) papers that have been produced at the Chair of Public Sector, Finance and Social Policy. In the menu below you can distinguish between peer-reviewed papers, working papers and other publications and view them listed chronologically. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the respective staff members.
Prof. Dr. Rainald Borck
R. Borck and T. Tabuchi. Pollution and City Size: Can Cities be too Small? Journal of Economic Geography, 19(5), 995–1020, 2019.
R. Borck. Public transport and urban pollution. Regional Science and Urban Economics, 77, 356 – 366, 2019.
R. Borck and M. Pflüger. Green cities? Urbanization, trade, and the environment. Journal of Regional Science, 59(4), 743–766, 2019.
R. Borck and M. Wrede. Spatial and social mobility. Journal of Regional Science, 58(4), 688–704, 2018.
R. Borck and J. K. Brueckner. Optimal energy taxation in cities. Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, 5(2), 481–516, 2018.
R. Borck. Will skyscrapers save the planet? Building height limits and urban greenhouse gas emissions. Regional Science and Urban Economics, 58, 15–26, 2016.
S. Bauernschuster and R. Borck. Formal child care and family structure: Theory and evidence. CESifo Economic Studies, 62(4), 699, 2016.
R. Borck, F. Fossen, R. Freier, and T. Martin. Race to debt trap? Spatial econometric evidence on debt in German municipalities. Regional Science and Urban Economics, 53, 20-37, 2015.
R. Borck, S. Uebelmesser, and M. Wimbersky. Political economics of higher education finance with mobile students. FinanzArchiv/Public Finance Analysis, 71, 82-105, 2015.
R. Borck. Adieu rabenmutter – culture, fertility, female labour supply, the gender wage gap and childcare. Journal of Population Economics, 27(3), 739–765, 2014.
R. Borck and M. Wimbersky. Political economics of higher education finance. Oxford Economic Papers, 66(1), 115–139, 2014.
R. Borck, H.-J. Koh, and M. Pflüger. Inefficient lock-in and subsidy competition. International Economic Review, 53(4), 2012.
R. Borck and K. Wrohlich. Preferences for childcare policies: Theory and evidence. European Journal of Political Economy, 27(3), 436–454, 2011.
R. Borck. Federalism, fertility and growth. Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 113, 30–54, 2011.
R. Borck, M. Pflüger, and M. Wrede. A simple theory of industry location and residence choice. Journal of Economic Geography, 10, 913–940, 2010.
R. Borck and M. Wrede. Subsidies for intracity and intercity commuting. Journal of Urban Economics, 66(1), 25 – 32, 2009.
R. Borck. Voting on redistribution with tax evasion. Social Choice and Welfare, 32, 439–452, 2009.
R. Borck and M. Wrede. Commuting subsidies with two transport modes. Journal of Urban Economics, 63(3), 841 – 848, 2008.
R. Borck. Central versus local education finance: a political economy approach. International Tax and Public Finance, 15(3), 338–352, June 2008.
R. Borck. Voting, inequality, and redistribution. Journal of Economic Surveys, 21, 90–109, 2007.
R. Borck. On the choice of public pensions when income and life expectancy are correlated. Journal of Public Economic Theory, 9, 711–725, 2007.
R. Borck, M. Caliendo, and V. Steiner. Fiscal competition and the composition of spending: Theory and evidence. FinanzArchiv, 63, 264–277, 2007.
R. Borck. Consumption and social life in cities: Evidence from Germany. Urban Studies, 44(11), 2105–2121, 2007.
R. Borck and M. Pflüger. Agglomeration and tax competition. European Economic Review, 50, 647–668, 2006.
R. Borck, B. Frank, and J. R. Robledo. An empirical analysis of voluntary payments for information goods on the internet. Information Economics and Policy, 18(2), 229–239, June 2006.
R. Borck and M. Wrede. Political economy of commuting subsidies. Journal of Urban Economics, 57(3), 478–499, 2005.
R. Borck. Capital skill complementarity, fiscal competition and the composition of public spending. FinanzArchiv, 61, 488–499, 2005.
R. Borck. Stricter enforcement may increase tax evasion. European Journal of Political Economy, 20, 725–737, 2004.
P. Baake, R. Borck, and A. Löffler. Complexity and progressivity in income tax design: Deductions for work-related expenses. International Tax and Public Finance, 11, 299–312, 2004.
R. Borck. Income tax evasion and the penalty structure. Economics Bulletin, 8(5), 1–9, 2004.
R. Borck. Tax competition and the choice of tax structure in a majority voting model. Journal of Urban Economics, 54, 173–180, 2003.
R. Borck and S. Owings. The political economy of intergovernmental grants. Regional Science and Urban Economics, 33, 139–156, 2003.
R. Borck, D. Engelmann, W. Müller, and H.-T. Normann. Tax liability side equivalence in experimental posted-offer markets. Southern Economic Journal, 68(3), 672–692, 2002.
R. Borck. Jurisdiction size, political participation, and the allocation of resources. Public Choice, 113, 251–263, 2002.
R. Borck. Investment and the tragedy of the commons. Economics Bulletin, 4(2), 1–6, 2001.
P. Baake and R. Borck. Pareto efficiency and majority voting: Why high taxes on the middle class may be desirable. Public Choice, 102, 77–91, 2000.
S. Owings and R. Borck. Legislative professionalism and government spending: Do citizen legislatures really spend less? Public Finance Review, 28, 210–225, 2000.
R. Borck. Centralization of public good supply with majority voting. FinanzArchiv, 55, 21–40, 1998.
R. Borck. Ideology and interest groups. Public Choice, 88(1-2), 147–60, July 1996.
R. Borck and P. Schrauth. Population density and urban air quality. CESifo working paper 7629, CESifo, 2019.
R. Borck and P. Schrauth. Pollution in cities worldwide. Work in progress.
R. Borck and P. Mulder. Transport policies and pollution in developing country cities. Work in progress.
R. Borck, J. Oshiro, and Y. Sato. Properties of property taxation. Work in progress.
A. Kröll and R. Borck. The Influence of Child Care on Maternal Health and Mother-Child Interaction. CESifo Working Paper Series 4289, CESifo Group Munich, 2013.
• R. Borck. Kinderbetreuung, Fertilität und Frauenerwerbstätigkeit. Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, 79(3), 169–180, 2010.
• R. Borck. The political economy of urban transit. In OECD, editor, ITF Round Tables Privatisation and Regulation of Urban Transit Systems. OECD, Paris, 2008.
• P. Baake and R. Borck. Political support for tax complexity: A simple model. In P. Baake and R. Borck, editors, Public Economics and Public Choice: Contributions in Honor of Charles B. Blankart, pages 147–156. Springer, Berlin and New York, 2007.
• C. B. Blankart and R. Borck. Local public finance. In J. G. Backhaus and R. E. Wagner, editors, Handbook of Public Finance, pages 441–476. Springer US, 2005.
• R. Borck. Führt fiskalische Äquivalenz zu einer effizienten Allokation?: Die Rolle von Mehrheitsabstimmungen. Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, 72(3), 444–457, 2003.
• S. Bach and R. Borck. Föderalismusreform aus ökonomischer Sicht: Editorial. Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, 72(3), 345–348, 2003.
• A. Vögele and R. Borck. Quantifizierung von Risiken zur Verrechnungspreisbestimmung. Internationales Steuerrecht, 11, 176–180, 2002.
• R. Borck. Ökonomische Theorie der Steuerhinterziehung. WiSt, 30, 404–408, 2001.
• R. Borck. Erhöhen Privatisierungen das Staatsvermögen? Staatswissenschaften und Staatspraxis, 7, 491–504, 1996.
• R. Borck. Die Verfassung von Utopia. List Forum, 20, 154–167, 1994.