Statement – Condemnation of discriminatory, violent attacks on students in Golm
Recently there has been harassment and discrimination at the university campus in Golm. There have also been break-ins, swastika graffiti, and vandalism. Sadly, these events reached a climax in early February with a brutal physical attack on university students that was motivated by right-wing, anti-queer and anti-transsexual ideology. We are shocked and appalled that such a violent attack has taken place at our university.
The University of Potsdam expresses its solidarity with those affected by this inhuman attack and condemns this violence in the strongest possible terms. Our university is a place that embraces gender diversity and that does not tolerate discrimination. The university opposes harassment and stands for a democratic culture and the equality of all human beings.
The University of Potsdam is doing everything in its power to ensure that these crimes are prosecuted and that the campus remains a safe place for everyone. No-one should feel as if they should be afraid of attacks. In this context, we have long engaged in close cooperation with the police and the city of Potsdam and have taken initial measures to deal with this.
If you witness a violent attack or are yourself attacked, we would like to encourage you to report the incident. You can find the relevant contacts at: https://polizei.brandenburg.de/standorte_und_erreichbarkeiten/id/66560
You can also consult with the counseling and support institutions at the University of Potsdam and the state of Brandenburg. We have compiled the following information: what you should do specifically if such an incident occurs, and an overview of resources that you can contact.
What should I do if I am affected by such an incident?
- Express disagreement (if possible, speak loudly and clearly, to raise public awareness of the attack)
- Seek attention and help
- Speak with people you trust
- Document what you have experience. We have provided below a template from the German Federal Government’s Anti-Discrimination Office.
- Take advantage of our counseling and support services
- Submit a complaint to the Ombudsman of the University of Potsdam
What should I do if I observe an incident?
- Depending on the situation, speak to the affected person(s), ask what the affected person(s) need(s), offer help or call for assistance
- Document the incident in writing (a brief report with the date, time, location, and if applicable the names of those involved)
- Visit support services for yourself, and/or accompany the affected person(s)
Counseling and Support Services
Counseling at the University of Potsdam
- Equal Opportunity Coordination Office
Counseling Regarding Right-Wing Violence
- Mobiles Beratungsteam zu Rechtsextremismus, Fremdenfeindlichkeit und Gewaltprävention in Brandenburg
Counseling is free of charge, confidential, and takes place at a time and location that work for you; for Potsdam: 0331 505 88 83
Professional counseling for victims of right-wing violence and racist discrimination, as well as for friends, relatives and witnesses; Hotline: 0331 8170000
- Entknoten, Beratungsstelle gegen Alltagsrassismus und Diskriminierung
You can defend yourself against discrimination; Hotline: 0391 99078887; WhatsApp: 01525 603474
- Antidiskriminierungsstelle des Bundes
provides counseling in the event of discrimination
- les migras
provides counseling in cases of (serial) discrimination; Hotline: 030 21 91 50 90; Office hours: Monday: 14:00-17:00, Tuesday: 10:00-16:00, Wednesday: 14:00-17:00, Thursday: 15:00-18:00
- OFEK e.V. Beratungsstelle
Counseling office for anti-Semitic violence and discrimination; Hotline: +49 17645875532, +49 8006645268; Office hours: Monday: 16:00-18:00, Tuesday: 10:00-12:00, Wednesday: 12:00-14:00, Thursday: 10:00-12:00, Friday: 12:00-14:00
Queer Counseling in Brandenburg
- AGNES - Anti-violence project by and for LSBTTIQ*, counseling for those affected by homophobic violence and criminal acts, prevention of violence
RAT + TAT - Beratungsstelle von und für LSBTTIQ*
Contact: Jägerallee 29, 14469 Potsdam, Telephone: 0331 240 190
Telephone counseling: usually Monday - Friday, 10:00 - 21:00
- AndersARTiG Für Homo-, Bi und trans*, inter* und queere Menschen. Gegen Gewalt, Fremdenfeindlichkeit, Ausgrenzung und Diskriminierung
Contact: Dortustraße 71A, 14467 Potsdam; Telephone: 0331 20 19 888