Consulting hours by appointment
Annika Baumann received her Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from the Humboldt University of Berlin in 2010. She then continued studying her Master in Information Systems at the Humboldt University in Berlin from 2010 to 2013. As part of her master's thesis, she analyzed the structure and the robustness of the Internet network using graph-based methods. Beginning in June 2013 she started working as a doctoral candidate and a research assistant at the Chair of Information Systems at the Humboldt University in Berlin. In the course of her Ph.D., she continued working in the field of Internet topology research. Further main topics of her dissertation have been user behavior in social media and customer behavior in the e-commerce context. She finished her Ph.D. in April 2018. Since the beginning of 2018, she works at the Weizenbaum Institute for the Networked Society as a post-doctoral fellow and leads the research group “Digital Technologies and Well-Being”.
My main research interests reside within the broader area of the investigation of the individual and societal impacts of platforms. My present research consists of two main areas. First, one focal topic of interest includes the investigation how the use of different kinds of platforms (e.g., social media, rating platforms) affect users concerning their well-being (e.g., self-esteem) but also concerning the strategic, competitive, or opportunistic behaviors of platform users (e.g., privacy behavior). The second focal interest of mine lies at the intersection of human-agent-interaction. Current projects investigate how advice provided by an algorithmic-based system might affect the behavior of individuals (e.g., decision-making behavior).
From a methodological point of view, my work is mainly empirical. I consider general quantitative research methods, experiments, social network analytics, machine learning approaches, including natural language processing, to be the most relevant ones.
- Best Associate Editor Award at the „27th European Conference in Information Systems“ (ECIS2019), Stockholm, Sweden, 2019.
- Co-Chair Doctoral Consortium at the "15th International Conference on Wirtschaftsinformatik" (WI2020), Potsdam, Germany, 2020.
- Coordinator Doctoral Consortium at the "26th European Conference on Information Systems“ (ECIS2018), Portsmouth, UK, 2018.
- Awarded as best of the exam period in the Bachelor program Business Administration, Humboldt University of Berlin, 2011.
- Jennewein, C., Baumann, A., Lessmann, S. (2020) To Use or Not to Use: The Relationship Between Personality Traits and Instagram Usage, Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Wirtschaftsinformatik, March 08-11, 2020, Potsdam, Germany.
- Krause, H.-V., Baum, K., Baumann, A., Krasnova, H. (2019) “Unifying the Detrimental and Beneficial Effects of Social Network Site Use on Self-Esteem: A Systematic Literature Review”, Media Psychology, DOI: 10.1080/15213269.2019.1656646
- Baumann, A., Haupt, J., Lessmann, S., & Gebert, F. (2019). The Price of Privacy-An Evaluation of the Economic Value of Collecting Clickstream Data. Business & Information Systems Engineering, 61(4), 413-431.
- Krause, H.-V., Wagner, A., Krasnova, H., große Deters, F., Baumann, A., Buxmann, P. (2019) "Keeping Up with the Joneses: Instagram Use and its Influence on Conspicuous Consumption", Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS 2019), Munich, Germany.
- Voronin, G., Baumann, A., Lessmann, S. (2018) Crowdturfing on Instagram - The Influence of Profile Characteristics on the Engagement of Others, Twenty-Sixth European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS2018), Portsmouth, UK, 2018
- Gladkaya, M., Gundlach, J., Bergert, C., Baumann, A., Krasnova, H. (2018) We Need to Talk! Antecedents and Consequences of Children's Smartphone Use - A Literature Review, Proceedings of the Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS 2018), New Orleans, LA, August 16-18, 2018
- Annika Baumann, Johannes Haupt, Stefan Lessmann (2018) “Changing Perspectives: Using Graph Metrics to Predict Purchase Probabilities” Expert Systems with Application 94, pp. 137-148.
- Robin Gubela, Stefan Lessmann, Johannes Haupt, Annika Baumann, Tillmann Radmer, Fabian Gebert (2017). “Revenue Uplift Modeling.” In: Proceedings of the 38th International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS’17), Seoul, South Korea, December 10th-13th.
- Olga Abramova, Annika Baumann, Hanna Krasnova, Stefan Lessmann (2017). “To Phub or not to Phub: Understanding Off-Task Smartphone Usage and its Consequences in the Academic Environment”. In: Proceedings of the 25th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS’17), Guimarães, Portugal, June 5th-10th.
- Benjamin Fabian, Annika Baumann, Mathias Ehlert, Vasilis Ververis, Tatiana Ermakova (2017). CORIA—Analyzing internet connectivity risks using network graphs. In: 2017 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), pp. 1-6.
- Hanna Krasnova, Olga Abramova, Isabelle Notter, Annika Baumann (2016). “Why Phubbing is Toxic for Your Relationship: Understanding the Role of Smartphone Jealousy Among "Generation Y" Users”. In: Proceedings of the 24th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS'16), Istanbul, Turkey, June 12th-15th.
- Olga Abramova, Annika Baumann, Hanna Krasnova, Peter Buxmann (2016). “Gender Differences in Online Dating: What Do We Know So Far? A Systematic Literature Review”. In: Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-49), Kauai, Hawaii, January 5th-8th.
- Annika Baumann, Benjamin Fabian, Stefan Lessmann, Lars Holzberg (2016). Twitter and the Political Landscape – A Graph Analysis of German Politicians. Proceedings of the 24th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS'16), Istanbul, Turkey, June 12th-15th.
- Benjamin Fabian, Annika Baumann and Jessika Lackner (2015). “Topological Analysis of Cloud Service Connectivity”. Computers & Industrial Engineering 88, pp. 151-165.
- Annika Baumann, Benjamin Fabian (2015). “Vulnerability Against Internet Disruptions – A Graph-based Perspective”. In Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Critical Information Infrastructures Security (CRITIS’15), Berlin, Germany, October 5th-7th.
- Benjamin Fabian, Annika Baumann, Marian Keil (2015). “Privacy on Reddit? Towards Large-scale User Classification.” In: Proceedings of the 23rd European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS'15), Münster, Germany, May 26th-29th.
- Annika Baumann, Stefan Lessmann, Kristof Coussement, Koen W. De Bock (2015). “Maximize What Matters: Predicting Customer Churn with Decision-centric Ensemble Selection.” In: Proceedings of the 23rd European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS'15), Münster, Germany, May 26th-29th.
- Annika Baumann, Hanna Krasnova, Natasha Veltri, Yunsi Ye (2015). “Men, Women, Microblogging: Where Do We Stand?”. In: 12. Internationale Tagung Wirtschaftsinformatik (WI’15), Osnabrück, Germany, March 4th-6th, Candidate for the Best Paper Award.
- Annika Baumann, Benjamin Fabian (2014). “How Robust is the Internet? – Insights from Graph Analysis”. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Risks and Security of Internet and Systems (CRiSIS’14), Trento, Italy, August 27th-29th.
- Natasha Veltri, Hanna Krasnova, Annika Baumann, Neena Kalayamthanam (2014). “Gender Differences in Online Gaming: A Literature Review”. In: Twentieth Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS’14), Savannah, USA, August 7th-9th.
- Tatiana Ermakova, Annika Baumann, Benjamin Fabian, Hanna Krasnova (2014). “Privacy Policies and Users’ Trust: Does Readability Matter?”. In: Twentieth Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS’14), Savannah, USA, August 7th-9th.
- Annika Baumann, Benjamin Fabian (2014). “Who Runs the Internet? - Classifying Autonomous Systems into Industries”. In: 10th International Conference on Web Information Systems and Technologies (WEBIST’14), Barcelona, Spain, April 3rd-5th.
- Annika Baumann, Benjamin Fabian, Matthias Lischke (2014). “Exploring the Bitcoin Network”. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Web Information Systems and Technologies (WEBIST’14), April 3rd-5th.
- Annika Baumann, Benjamin Fabian (2013). "Towards Measuring the Geographic and Political Resilience of the Internet." International Journal of Networking and Virtual Organisations 13(4), pp. 365-384.
- Franziska Brecht, Kerstin Schäfer, Annika Baumann, Oliver Guenther (2011). Shopping Online-Determining Consumer Acceptance of Online Shops. In: Seventeenth Twentieth Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS’14), Detroit, Michigan August 4th-7th.
Service for the Research Community
- Business & Information Systems Engineering (BISE)
- Internet Research (IR)
- Information Systems Journal (ISJ)
- International Journal of Network Science (IJNS)
- Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS)
- European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS)
- International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS)
- Multikonferenz Wirtschaftsinformatik (MKWI)
- Wirtschaftsinformatik (WI)