On this page you will find information on the Faculty of Arts‘ study abroad program with the Facultad de Filosofía y Humanidades at Universidad de Chile in Santiago de Chile. For information concerning further possibilities for cooperation within the framework of this faculty partnership, please get in touch with the coordinator Dr. Dr. Antonella Ippolito.
Generally speaking, all BA and MA students at UP can spend one or more semesters abroad at Universidad de Chile, regardless of which faculty they study at in Potsdam.
At Universidad de Chile, UP students can take courses offered for the degree programs at the Facultad de Filosofía y Humanidades. Courses at other faculties at Universidad de Chile are not covered by the existing cooperation agreement of the Faculty of Arts. Students can select coures from the following programs
- Spanish linguistics and literature
- English linguistics and literature
- International Relations
There are thematic overlaps in the field of economics, social sciences, education etc. for example.
- Application documents: please see below
- Spanish language proficiency: B2, to be proven on location in Chile. If your level of Spanish is B1 or lower (European Framework of Reference), you will need to take an additional language course at Universidad de Chile and cover the cost of 400 USD yourself.
- Course selection: not all courses can be attended without prior knowledge of the subject and/or a specific level of language proficiency in Spanish; individual arrangements may be necessary.
- Please communicate your interest in this program to the coordinator Dr. Dr. Antonella Ippolito. You will then receive detailed information on the application procedure and documents.
- Application documents to be sent as a PDF file:
- student’s first and last name, home address, passport number and (clear) copy, student email address
- motivational letter in Spanish
- transcript of records in Spanish (list of courses completed at UP, including course name and type, ECTS points, and grade if applicable)
- letter of recommendation by a university teaching staff member from the student’s field of study. The letter needs to refer to the benefits of a study abroad period in Chile for the applicant.
Please send the documents to the Coordinator in a single pdf file.
Applications are accepted year-round. The following deadlines apply:
- October 1 for a study abroad period in the following year in semester 1 (March to July) in Chile
- March 1 for a study abroad period in semester 2 (July to December) in Chile
You will be notified on the success of your application about three months prior to the start of the semester in Chile.
- Administrative fee for your registration at Universidad de Chile, to be paid upon arrival: 270 USD
- If applicable: costs for a Spanish language course in Chile in case language proficiency is B1 or lower: 400 USD
- You will be responsible for covering your living costs in Chile. To obtain your student visa, you will need proof of sufficient financial funds (please see http://www.echile.de/index.php/de/service/visa/visa-typen/108-visa-de-estudiante)
- If you have any questions concerning possible financial aid for your studies abroad, please get in touch with the International Office. We recommend applying for scholarships as soon as possible – usually before receiving your letter of acceptance from Chile.
- www.filosofia.uchile.cl (Facultad de Filosofía y Humanidades, Universidad de Chile, website with information concerning the structure of the individual study programs)
- ucampus.uchile.cl/m/filosofia_catalogo/ (up-to-date course lists of the Facultad de Filosofía y Humanidades)
- http://www.echile.de/index.php/de/service/visa/visa-typen/108-visa-de-estudiante (visa regulations for Chile)
I am a student at the University of Potsdam, but not at the Faculty of Arts. Am I still eligible for a study abroad period under the faculty’s cooperation agreement?
- Yes. Generally speaking, all BA and MA students at UP can spend one or more semesters abroad at Universidad de Chile, regardless of which faculty they study at in Potsdam. Please contact the Faculty’s Coordinator for Internationalization for an individual consultation.
Which courses can I take?
- UP students may take courses offered for the degree programs at the Facultad de Filosofía y Humanidades at Universidad de Chile. Courses at other faculties at Universidad de Chile are not covered by the cooperation agreement with the Faculty of Arts. You may choose courses from the following study programs:
-Spanish linguistics and literature
-English linguistics and literature
- You may choose courses from the first six semesters of the “Pregrado” (8 semesters in total in Chile). For some courses prerequisites and/or a specific language proficiency level may apply.
- Students should expect a weekly workload of 3 to 4.5 hours per course (including attendance, preparation, and follow-up work). Universidad de Chile therefore recommends international students not take more than 4 courses per semester (Chilean students usually do not take more than five courses per semester).
- Please also have a look at the study programs and course lists on this page.
How is the academic year structured in Chile?
- "Semester 1": March to July
- "Semester 2": July to December
- Introductory events and the Spanish language test for international students take place about two weeks BEFORE the start of the respective semester.
How can I get information on possible financial aid for my stay abroad?
Please contact the International Office.