Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

We've collected your most frequently asked questions

What classes do I need to take?

You can find details on all classes and modules you have to take in your study regulations (Studien- und Prüfungsordnung). You can find them at the deparment's website here. Please make sure you choose the study regulations according to the year of your enrollment.

How do I sign up for classes?

In order to sign up for classes, you need your university account information (e-mail and password) as well as your TAN list, you receive both when you first enroll at the university. You can then login to the PULS system here and put your schedule together.

When do I need to sign up for classes?

The university offers a nice overview of all important dates and deadlines during your studies. You can find it here. Please keep in mind that the enrollment period for classes is also the withdrawl period. If you decide to not continue a class, you MUST sign out on PULS within this period - not only to make room for fellow students who want or need to attend the class, but also to avoid a fail grade at the end of the term - it is the system automatically giving you a fail if the teacher does not put a grade into it for you, but how could they if you decided to leave the class months ago?

What is PULS?

PULS is an online portal which has several important functions for the organization of your academic life. It functions as course catalogue which can be accessed without login. Once you access it with your ZEIK name and password you can create your own schedule by signing into courses. On PULS you also sign up for exams and other Prüfungsleistungen. Once an exam or paper has been graded, you will be able to check your grades on PULS (note: there are certain courses and study programs e.g. AngloMods which work differently). PULS, of course, also provides you with the information on course content, instructor, time and place of the different classes. It is one of the most important tools for organizing your semester, we advise you to familiarize yourself with it early on.

What is Moodle?

Moodle is an e-learning platform which is used to organize seminars, lectures, and tutorials. You will, ideally, find all necessary study material (texts, syllabi etc.) on Moodle which you will be able to access with your ZEIK name and password. It also offers you a great way to communicate with your fellow students. You can send messages to te whole class, open chat rooms, or message individual people.

How do I access my e-mail account?

You can access your UP-Email account here (link). Use your ZEIK name and password to access the account. You can also forward all incoming emails automatically to your private email account. Note that many professors prefer that you email them from your university email account.

When do I need to apply for the Master?

You can apply for the research master Anglophone Modernities twice a year: by January 15 for enrollment in the summer term, and by July 15 for enrollment in the winter term.

How do I apply for the Master?

All applications are made via Uni-Assist, an application portal used by many German universities. (The process is free of charge at the University of Potsdam.) Applications will then be forwarded to the admission committee of the English institute where the actual decision is made.
A list of admission requirements - only complete applications will be processed by Uni-Assist - and more information on the program can be found on