The first Joint Field Campaign (JFC) of the Cosmic Sense project took place from mid May to mid July 2019 at a research site of the KIT in Fendt (Upper Bavaria).
The Bayerische Rundfunk (BR) covered the Joint Field Campaign and published a radio broadcast and a television report (incl. press release). The work of the Cosmic Sense Team was also featured in the science magazin of the University of Potsdam Portal Wissen. The article is available here (in German language).
A detailed documentation of the field activities during the JFC is given below.
29. WEEK (15.07. - 19.07.2019): In the last week of the field campaign, special soil moisture measurements will be carried out and vegetation samples taken. Afterwards the probes will be removed and the reading and evaluation of the recorded data will begin.
28. WEEK (08.07. - 12.07.2019): Inspections and maintenance work will be carried out during this week.
27. WEEK (01.07. - 05.07.2019): This week we will be carrying out inspections and, if necessary, maintenance work and also roving will take place again. Here can you find the first results from probes and roving.
26. WEEK (24.06. - 28.06.2019): This is the second intensive measuring week. A lot of soil is removed for the measurement of soil moisture by different methods. These are then dried in the drying oven. Remote sensing, roving, meadow monitoring and mapping of the landscape, especially of the forest including the recording of the tree population will take place.
25. WEEK (17.06. - 21.06.2019): All the probes are running, so this week we will be carrying out inspections and, if necessary, maintenance work. Meadow monitoring will also continue.
24. WEEK (10.06. - 14.06.2019): All the probes are running, so this week we will be carrying out inspections and, if necessary, maintenance work. Meadow monitoring will also continue.
23. WEEK (03.06. - 07.06.2019): From Monday to Friday the intensive measurements take place. This includes vegetation sampling, roving, remote sensing, meadow monitoring, mapping of the landscape, especially of the forest including the recording of the tree population. Maintenance and repairs are carried out on the CRNS probes and the soil profile probes. Here you can see the flight plan of the drones from remote sensing. (The large yellow border was the flight area of the hyperspectral drone. The smaller border, that of the thermal drone.) A special highlight is on Wednesday: a television team is on site and will make film recordings for a broadcast on Bavarian Television.
22. WEEK (27.05. - 31.05.2019): This week the last access tubes for the profile probes will be placed, general functional test performed on all probes, Meadow monitoring, the Calibrator operation is controlled and Biomass mapping in particular for forest areas.
21. WEEK (20.05. - 24.05.2019):Further installation work and roving will be carried out as well as functional checks and biomass mapping.
Heavy rainfall in the first half of the week obstructs the work.
20. WEEK (13.05. - 17.05.2019): Official start of the Joint Field Campaign. This week all RMs will install their CRN-Probes and start with the first measurements and research activities like soil moisture measurements, biomass sampling, roving and others. HM: Use of the mobile MRI soil moisture profiler. HG: Installation of an access tube for later profile soil moisture measurements with a Trime tube access probe down to a depth of 3 meters below surface. (PhD student Daniel Rasche and student Paul Voit)
19. WEEK (05.05. - 10.05.2019): Some Research Modules (RM) begin with the complex installation works of the CRNS.