Supervisor's Main Web Page
Prof. Dr. Dirk Wiemann started his academic career at Oldenburg University and in 1998 received his PhD in Comparative Literature. With funding from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), he spent three years as a Visiting Lecturer at the English and Foreign Languages University Hyderabad (India) and the University of Delhi, teaching Literature, Media Studies and European Studies. He also held positions at the University of Magdeburg (assistant professor) and the University of Tübigen (senior reader) before joining the English and American Studies Department at Potsdam University in 2008. He became the director of the bilateral research and exchange network "Writing the Cosmopolitan Imagination: Genre Transactions in World-Literary Space" with the University of Delhi.
- genre transformations in world literary space
- South Asia studies
- theories and practices of cosmopolitanism
- English renaissance republicanism in literature, politics and aesthetics
- literature and the British Empire
- cultural and literary theory
Select Research Projects
- director of research project and exchange program "Writing the Cosmopolitan Imagination: Genre Transactions in World-Literary Space"
- Postcolonial Studies: An Introduction. With Anke Bartels, Lars Eckstein and Nicole Waller. Stuttgart (Metzler Publishers) 2019.
- The Return of Politics. HARD TIMES vol. 101 (2018) (with Anke Bartels).
- Postcolonial Justice. Amsterdam: Brill, 2017 (with Anke Bartels, Lars Eckstein and Nicole Waller). For more details see http://www.brill.com/products/book/postcolonial-justice