The English-language International Master’s / Doctoral Program Experimental and Clinical Linguistics (IECL) at the University of Potsdam is a combined study program at the Linguistics Department starting with a master’s program that can directly lead into a doctoral program.
The IECL program offers innovative instruction, combining linguistic knowledge with interdisciplinary research and an international orientation.
Master of Science
Standard period of study
4 semesters (2yrs)
6 semesters (3yrs)
Start of study (1st term)
summer or winter term
Language of instruction
- The IECL provides an advanced academic training in research methodology in a flexible format and prepares you for a scientific career in the areas of psycho- and neurolinguistics.
- The IECL has a specific focus on the neuro-cognitive mechanisms underlying language processing, language acquisition, their disorders, and their rehabilitation.
- You can develop your own area of interest within a research framework of
- first language acquisition,
- speech and language processing,
- evidence based practice in speech and language disorders, and
- multilingual language acquisition and processing.
- The language of instruction is English.
The program provides an intensive, research-based education in experimental and clinical linguistics in which students can deepen and expand the knowledge, skills, and proficiencies gained in bachelor’s study. This includes the theoretical, methodological and experimental foundations for scientific work, and promotes the ability to work in fields related to applied science, research, and teaching. The program does not provide basic training for working as a speech and language therapist.