The first buildings on the Golm Campus date back to the 1930s. After the reintroduction of compulsory military service in March 1935, several military buildings were built in the former communities of Eiche and Golm by 1938, including four barracks (buildings 1, 3, 5, 7), a mess hall (building 4), a boiler building (building 2), and three vehicle and equipment halls (buildings 8, 10, 11). A rectangular square, 240 meters long and 45 meters wide, was built in the center to serve as marching grounds. The complex was named after General Lieutenant Walther Wever, the head of the Reich Ministry of Aviation, who was killed in an accident in 1936. The “Air Force Intelligence Division of the Supreme Commander of the Air Force” used the premises as a communications and intelligence center until the end of the Second World War. As of April 1943, the majority of the counterintelligence division of the Wehrmacht’s military intelligence services, which were led by Admiral Wilhelm Canaris from 1935 to 1944, were located here. Parts of the barracks were destroyed by an Allied air raid in 1944 and by combat in the last days of the war, especially after Potsdam was taken by the Red Army at the end of April 1945.