Education and Professional Activities
- 1989 MSc. (German Diplom) Physics (Theoretical Ecology), Philipps-University Marburg
- 1992 PhD in Physics/Theoretical Ecology, Philipps-University Marburg
- 1992-2000 Scientist at the Department of Ecological Modelling, Centre for Environmental Research UFZ-Leipzig/Halle (Germany)
- 1999 German ‚Habilitation’ in Theoretical Ecology, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena
- 2000-2005 C3-Professor for Plant Ecology and Conservation Biology, University Potsdam
- 2002-2004 Head of Botanical Garden, University Potsdam
- 2006- .. Associated scientist at the Leibniz-Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research ZALF Muencheberg e.V.
- 2006- .. W3-Professor for Plant Ecology and Conservation Biology, University Potsdam
- 2008-2010 Head of Institute for Biochemistry and Biology, University of Potsdam
- 2009- .. Dean of the Potsdam Graduate School (PoGS)
Head of Department of Plant Ecology and Conservation Biology
- 2008- .. Vice-President of the Ecological Society of Germany, Austria and Switzerland (GFÖ)
- 2012- .. Member of the DFG review board 207 (responsible member for ecology of agricultural landscapes)
- 2009- .. Member of the advisory committee of the German University Association of Advanced Graduate Training (GUAT)
- 2013- .. Co-Director Berlin-Brandenburg Institute for Advanced Biodiversity Research BBIB
- Editorial Board: Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics; Basic and Applied Ecology; Movement Ecology
- spatial ecology: linking individuals, populations, communities and landscapes
- dryland ecology
- impact of land use and environmental change on biodiversity dynamics
Methods and Expertise
- concepts, theoretical ecology and ecological modelling (focus: spatially-explicit simulation models)
- linking empirical/experimental and modelling approaches in ecology
Selected Publications (out of 115 peer-reviewed journal contributions, see pdf for complete list; H-index 27):
- Jeltsch F, Milton SJ, Dean WRJ, van Rooyen N (1996) Tree spacing and coexistence in semiarid savannas. Journal of Ecology 84: 583-595.
- Jeltsch F, Milton SJ, Dean WRJ, van Rooyen N (1997) Analysing shrub encroachment in the southern Kalahari: a grid-based modelling approach. Journal of Applied Ecology 34(6): 1497-1509.
- Jeltsch F, Milton SJ, Moloney K (1999) Detecting process from snap-shot pattern - lessons from tree spacing in the southern Kalahari. Oikos 85(3): 451-467.
- Jeltsch F, Moloney K (2002) Spatially-explicit vegetation models: what have we learned? Progress in Botany 63, 326-343.
- Wiegand T, Jeltsch F, Hanski I, Grimm V (2003) Using pattern-oriented modeling for revealing hidden information: a key for reconciling ecological theory and application. Oikos 100: 209-222.
- Wiegand K, Jeltsch F, Ward D (2004) Minimum recruitment frequency in plants with episodic recruitment. Oikos 141: 363-372.
- Grimm V, Revilla E, Berger U, Jeltsch F, Mooij WM, Railsback SF, Thulke H-H, Weiner J, Wiegand T, DeAngelis DL (2005). Pattern-oriented modeling of agent-based complex systems: lessons from ecology. Science 310, 987-991.
- Petrů M, Tielbörger K, Belkin R , Sternberg M & Jeltsch F (2006) Life history variation in an annual plant under two opposing environmental constraints along an aridity gradient. Ecography. 29,66-74.
- Tietjen B, Jeltsch F (2007) Semi-arid grazing systems and climate change – a survey of present modelling potential and future needs. J. Applied Ecology 44: 425-43.
- Malkinson D, F Jeltsch (2007) Intraspecific facilitation: a missing process along increasing stress gradients - insights from simulated shrub populations. Ecography 30:339-348.
- Körner K, Jeltsch F (2008): Detecting general plant functional type responses in fragmented landscapes using spatially-explicit simulations. Ecological Modelling 210(3): 287-300.
- Jeltsch F, Moloney K, Schurr F, Köchy M, Schwager M (2008) The state of plant population modelling in light of environmental change. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 9, 171-189.
- Schwager M, Covas R, Blaum N, Jeltsch F (2008) Limitations of population models in predicting climate change effects: a simulation study of sociable weavers in southern Africa. Oikos 117: 1417-1427.
- Schiffers K, Schurr FM, Tielbörger K, Urbach C, Moloney K, Jeltsch F (2009) Dealing with virtual aggregation - a new index for analysing heterogenous point pattern. Ecography 31: 545-555.
- May F, Grimm V, Jeltsch F (2009) Reversed effects of grazing on plant diversity: the role of below-ground competition and size symmetry. Oikos 118: 1830-1843.
- Zurell D, Jeltsch F, Dormann C, Schröder B (2009) Static distribution models in dynamically changing systems: How good can predictions really be? Ecography 32: 733-744.
- Tietjen B, Jeltsch F, Zehe E, Groengroeft A, Schiffers K, Oldeland J (2010) Effetcs of climate change on the coupled dynamics of water and vegetation in drylands. Ecohydrology 3: 226-237.
- Schiffers K, Tielbörger K, Tietjen B, Jeltsch F (2011) Root plasticity buffers competition among plants - theory meets experimental data. Ecology 92: 610-620.
- Jeltsch F. Moloney KA, Schwager M, Körner K, Blaum N (2011) Consequences of correlations between habitat modifications and negative impact of climate change for regional species survival. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 145: 49-58.
- Buchmann CM, Schurr FM, Nathan R, Jeltsch F (2011) An allometric model of home range formation explains the structuring of animal communities exploiting heterogenous resources. Oikos 120: 106-118.
- May F, Giladi I, Ziv Y, Jeltsch F (2012) Dispersal and diversity - unifying scale-dependent relationships within the neutral theory. Oikos 121 (6): 942-951.
- Buchmann CM, Schurr FM, Nathan R, Jeltsch F (2012) Movement upscaled - the importance of individual foraging movement for community response to habitat loss. Ecography 35:436-445.
- Lohmann D, Tietjen B, Blaum N, Joubert D, Jeltsch F (2012) Shifting thresholds and changing degradation patterns: climate change effects on the simulated long-term response of a semi-arid savanna to grazing. J Appl Ecol. 49:814-823.
- May F, Giladi I, Ziv Y, Jeltsch F (2013) Metacommunity, mainland-island system or island communities? - Assessing the regional dynamics of plant communities in a fragmented landscape. Ecography. 36:1-12.
- Jeltsch F, Bonte D, Pe'er G, Reineking B, Leimgruber P, Balkenhol N, Schröder B, Buchmann MC, Mueller T, Blaum N, Zurell D, Böhning-Gaese K, Wiegand T, Eccard AJ, Hofer H, Reeg J, Eggers U, Bauer S, (2013). Integrating movement ecology with biodiversity research - exploring new avenues to address spatiotemporal biodiversity dynamics. Movement Ecology 1:6
- Buchmann CM, Schurr F, Nathan R, Jeltsch F (2013) Habitat loss and fragmentation affecting mammal and bird communities - the role of interspecific competition and individual space use. Ecological Informatics 14: 90–98.
Full List of Publications: