Supervision of doctoral studies
The Potsdam Graduate School stands for optimal conditions for doctoral studies as well as for the high quality of doctoral projects at the University of Potsdam. Important criteria are the intensive supervision of PhD caniddates by experienced scientists and the transparent, structured and individual design of the doctoral procedures.
Accordingly, the Potsdam Graduate School, in close cooperation with the faculties, has developed a comprehensive catalog of criteria that is based on internationally recognized quality standards in structured doctoral training.
Quality criteria at the University of Potsdam
The following quality criteria are minimum standards to be met by doctoral projects. Additional agreements and necessary subject-specific modifications are possible.
- A team of at least two experienced scientists must be formed to supervise the individual doctoral project. This is also possible on an interdisciplinary basis.
- Mentors are to ensure that an interdisciplinary advisory service is provided.
- The rights and duties of the PhD candidates and their supervisors are set out in writing in a supervision agreement. The same applies to the milestones and the training program.
- The doctoral concept and timeframe will be presented within the first 6 months.
- An individual career plan is developed together with the supervision team.
- Regular supervision meetings are agreed upon.
- There is an annual reporting obligation on the progress of the project. Within this framework a modification of the work plan is possible.
- The duration of the doctorate is reliably regulated: as a rule, it is three to four years (subject specifics are taken into account). Suitable general conditions are created for this purpose.
- There is the possibility of a part-time doctorate with an extended doctoral period.
- Publications are supported.
- PhD candidates are obliged to adhere to the rules of good scientific practice.
Structured doctoral programs must also meet the following criteria.
- Transparency in the promotion of doctoral students: Clearly defined and accessible to all participants regarding selection criteria, supervision structures, doctoral concepts and goals.
- Family-friendly education.
- Compliance with the concepts of equality.
Templates for dissertation agreements
On this website, the Potsdam Graduate School offers you some sample templates on the topic of dissertation agreements.