Lecturer and staff scientist
Department of Biochemistry & Biology
University of Potsdam
Google Scholar Profile
MSc of Computer Science in Bioinformatics, 2004. University of Applied Sciences, Berlin, Germany.
PhD in Biology, 2001. University of Iowa City, IA, USA
With a broad background in molecular biology and evolution, I am using computational approaches to facilitate and apply genome-scale analyses to address questions in the evolution of genes, genomes, and organisms. My current research is primarily service oriented and carried out in collaboration with research groups at the University of Potsdam and other institutes.
I have taught courses for graduate and undergraduate students at the Universities of Iowa, North Carolina, Costa Rica, and Potsdam. At the University of Potsdam I am currently teaching courses in Bioinformatics, Sequence Bioinformatics, Personalized Genomics, and Perl Programming.
- S Hartmann, N Hasenkamp, J Mayer, J Michaux, S Morand, CJ Mazzoni, AL Roca, AD Greenwood. (2015) , Endogenous murine leukemia retroviral
variation across wild European and inbred strains of house mouse. BMC Genomics 16:613
- M Zulawski, G Schulze, R Braginets, S Hartmann, WX Schulze. (2014) The Arabidopsis Kinome: phylogeny and evolutionary insights into functional diversification. BMC Genomics 15:548
- TH Struck, C Paul, N Hill, S Hartmann, C Hösel, M Kube, B Lieb, A Meyer, R Tiedemann, G Purschke, C Bleidorn (2011). Phylogenomic analyses unravel annelid evolution. Nature 471:95-98
- JG Burleigh, MS Bansal, O Eulenstein, S Hartmann, A Wehe, TJ Vision (2011). Genome-scale phylogenetics: inferring the plant tree of life from 18,896 discordant gene trees. Systematic Biology 2:117-25
- S Hartmann, T Vision. (2008) Can one accurately infer a phylogenetic tree from a gappy alignment? BMC Evolutionary Biology 8:95
- S Stegemann, S Hartmann, S Ruf, R Bock. (2003) High-frequency gene transfer from the chloroplast genome to the nucleus. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100:8828-8833
- S Hartmann, J Selbig. (2013) Introductory Bioinformatics, 4th Edition. BoD Verlag. ISBN 3732230260