You are using an old browser with security vulnerabilities and can not use the features of this website.

Here you will see how you can easily upgrade your browser.

Student Residence Permit

The application and extension of the student residence permit is liable with costs expect scholarship holders of German fellowship provider.

If you have questions or problems with regard to an extension of your residence permit, please contact the International Office for an individual consultation.


The student residence permit has a longer duration, which on the one hand depends on the duration of your studies and on the other hand on the fulfillment of other conditions (e.g., secured means of support).

The residence permit is as a rule issued as an electronic card (“elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel,” eAT). It may take up to 4 weeks for the electronic residence permit to be issued.

The application for a residence permit must be submitted in person at the Foreigners’ Registration Office. Besides the application (available at the Foreigners’ Registration Office and online) you will need the following materials:

  • your passport
  • a current biometric passport photo
  • Your registration confirmation from the local resident registration office
  • Your lease or a proof of housing space
  • Your admission from the university or proof of student registration
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of sufficient funds

Extension of a Residence Permit

Any residence permit is only valid for a specific time period and can be extended at the Foreigners' Registration Office. Please note that you must apply for an extension of your residence permit before its expiration.