Ioana Nicoleta Meleg
Postdoctoral Research Fellow of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
Evolutionary and Adaptive Genomics Group
Department of Biochemistry & Biology
University of Potsdam
PhD in Biology, Romanian Academy, Romania (2014)
MSc in Systemic Ecology and Biodiversity Conservation, Babes-Bolyai University, Romania (2007)
BA in Ecology and Environment Protection, Babes-Bolyai University, Romania (2006)
With a background in ecology and molecular biology, my research is focused on cave ecosystem. I am currently using an interdisciplinary approach to explore the response of Late Pleistocene cave bear populations to environmental heterogeneity in caves located along the Carpathians (Romania). The approach combines ancient DNA research with palaeoecological study using stable isotopes to address the question to what extent ecological differences influence gene flow among populations, and to decipher palaeo-extinctions and ecosystem dynamics during the Pleistocene.
- Fortes, G.G, Grandal-d’Anglade, A., Kolbe, B., Fernandes, D., Meleg, I.N., García-Vázquez, A., Pinto-Llona, A.C., Constantin, S., de Torres, T.J., Ortiz, J.E., Frischauf, C., Rabeder, G., Hofreiter, M. & Barlow, A. 2016. Ancient DNA reveals differences in behaviour and sociality between
- brown bears and extinct cave bears. Molecular Ecology 25:4907-4918.
- Meleg, I.N., Năpăruş, M., Fiers, F., Meleg, H.I., Vlaicu, M. & Moldovan, O.T. 2014. The relationships between land cover, climate and cave copepod spatial distribution and suitability along the Carpathians. Environmental Conservation 41: 206-216.
- Epure, L, Meleg, I.N., Munteanu, C.M., Roban, R.D. & Moldovan, O.T. 2014. Bacterial and fungal diversity in clastic sediments from two Romanian caves. Geomicrobiology Journal 31: 116-127.
- Meleg, I.N., Zakšek, V., Fišer, C., Kelemen, B.S. & Moldovan, O.T. 2013. Can environment predict cryptic diversity? The case of Niphargus inhabiting Western Carpathian groundwater. PLoS ONE 8(10): e76760. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0076760.
- Moldovan, O.T., Mihevc, A., Mikó, L., Constantin, S., Meleg, I.N., Petculescu, A. & Bosak, P. 2011. Invertebrate fossils from cave sediments as new proxy for pre-Quaternary paleoenvironments. Biogeosciences 8: 1825–1837.
- Meleg, I.N. 2013. Population dynamics of subterranean Crustacea: ecology, genetics and conservation. Presa Universitară Clujeană, Cluj-Napoca.