Department of English and American Studies
Prof. Dr. Dirk Wiemann
Chair of English Literature
Head of Department
|Am Neuen Palais 10 |
Building 19, Room 0.28
I graduated from Oldenburg University where I read English, German, and Political Science. In 1998, I received my PhD in Comparative Literature for a dissertation on Anglophone exilic literature in Great Britain 1933-1945, funded by a grant from the Friedrich Ebert Foundation. On behalf of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), I spent three years as a Visiting Lecturer at the English and Foreign Languages University Hyderabad (India) and the University of Delhi, teaching Literature, Media Studies and European Studies. From 2001 to 2006, I held the post of an Assistant Professor at the University of Magdeburg where I completed my postdoctoral thesis (Habilitation) on contemporary Indian novels in English. Before joining the English and American Studies Department at Potsdam University in 2008, I was a Senior Reader at the University of Tübingen.
research and teaching interests
- Genre Transformations in World Literary Space
- English Renaissance Literature, Politics and Aesthetics
- Literature and the British Empire
- Cultural and Literary Theory
publications and projects
For an updated list of publications and information on events and projects, please see: http.//dirkwiemann.wordpress.com
my office hours during the semester break will be on
- Tuesday, 17. 2., 13.00-14.30 hrs.
- Tuesday, 24. 2., 14.00- 15.30 hrs.
- Wednesday, 25. 3., 13.00 - 15.0 hrs.
- Tuesday, 31. 3., 13.00 - 15.00 hrs.
- Wednesday, 8. 4., 13.00 - 15.00 hrs.